Saturday, June 4, 2011

Grandma Janey & Grandpa Hurkey

I haven't seen them in 10 years because they live in Cali. My mom just came home from visiting them and was telling me how my grandfather and uncle take care of my grandmother. When your wife (who you are divorced from technically but have been living together for over 30 years) can't do anything on your own anymore and you feed her, cook for her, make jokes with her, and still live with her, thats love. I am so lucky to have such a couple to look at and be glad they are apart of my life. I laugh at my grandmother asking my mother "how do i look?". My grandmother was always wearing makeup skinny gorgeous hair permed always looked like she came out of one of those 50's betty crocker ads. Now she is 60lbs, hair is cut short and slicked back bc the men that take care of her simply dont know what the heck to do with a perm, and she has to have help doing everything and my mom told her "you look great". Breaks my heart. I plan on visiting them soon. My mother told me she regretted not seeing her grandparents before they past and so I know I would too. My mother told me they don't really grasp the older version of me and although I write them letters and send them pictures of Brynlee's they still talk in the past. My grandfather did say he was happy I found someone that is good for me. Which makes me so happy. I hope that when I go I can take Brynlee and Dalton with me as well. I can only hope that if one day I need the help that my grandmother needs that I can count on my spouse to still love me and be there for me as he did when he married me. That has to be a hard job for my grandfather, i know it is. I pray that they can hang on just a bit longer so I can come see them, and I hope we share wise words together so that my kids who may never know them here will get to know them once again later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment